.............News....Gigs....Music....Shop....Contact...........................................................................................................................................................

Sunday 12 July 2009

The PJ and Gaby Cartel/Experience/Brigade


We spent the best part of the weekend playing shows with PJ and Gaby as their backing band, which is a horrible term for "we play the drums and bass for them". Although, that could actually sound kind of cool, I think I could probably get away with saying that we play drum+bass and then let people think I am some sort of awesome DJ. I will need sunglasses and a bigger man-bag if I am to pull that off I suppose. Me and Josh decided to rename the full-band PJ and Gaby "The PJ and Gaby Experience". Does that sound awesome? Or totally shit? Jimmy would be turning in his grave.

The Friday show was in Basingstoke, a place I have been too once and only remembered being lost in the industrial estate for hours whilst looking for fun stuff to skate. I had no idea that Basingstoke was, essentially, a secret hub of punk. There were easily 50 people at the show, all of which paid attention to the bands and seemed to open to the differant acts playing differant styles of acoustic punk. I was really unsure of how the show would go whilst we were driving there, I always get apprehensive playing in new towns I'm not familier with but the show was a pretty solid success and Pear Cider was £2.50 a bottle and we got fed excellent vegan Chilli. Even if I pissed myself on stage I would have considered the night a success at that point. Kelly Kemp blasted out a solid set and Burning Idols played their first ever show and did way better than we did (see below) at our first show. The sound on-stage was shitty so it was a tough show to play - I kept my head down and focused on hitting the right strings as well as I could. Pj broke two strings in 30 minutes, a feat I have only ever seen beaten by Daniel from Onsind at Full Throttle festival last year. Amazing.

Saturdays show was at a family garden party in a marquee. Not your usual show at all and one that had we played at as A,IHN would have been somewhat difficult. I would have felt like I was basically just yelling, shouting and swearing at a family gathering which is, or isn't cool, depending on how you feel about that stuff. Probably about a dozen people played through the day, generally all what I would loosely call "folk" - there were banjos, ukes, madolins, 12 strings, violins, a double bass and harmonicas - sometimes all played by one band. Playing was easy and I can safely say I made the fewest mistakes at any show we have ever played with PJ+Gaby. I count that as a victory. My progression on the bass has been nothing less than amazing.

Amazingly slow.

Our next show is at Full Throttle in Lower Wham, Butterknowle. I'm sure you're familier with it. See you there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages