.............News....Gigs....Music....Shop....Contact...........................................................................................................................................................

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Bog Standard studio blog.

When your day starts by having to walk 20 minutes in the snow to buy petrol for the now-empty car, you know the day has started badly. Luckily for me, Josh got the petrol and I sat in the car with the gear whilst he trudged to the garage and paid £5 for about a cupful of petrol, so not a bad start all-round, for me at least. Shit is getting wild with petrol prices these days and it's not cool. Anyway, this made us late for the recording session we had planned at Joe's studio where we hoped to demo everything for our upcoming 7" so when it comes to recording for real in a few weeks, we know exactly what we were doing. Joe lost the studio keys and turned up late too.

Sometimes, I guess, lateness works in pairs and evens itself out eventually, its nice when things work out like that.

Studio accounts are generally boring and this is not likely to be anymore entertaining than any of the million accounts there are floating on the cyberspace. The problem is, recording is a fairly dull process of doing stuff, doing it again, doing it again, talking about tones, stressing about time and wondering why the songs don't sound quite like you hoped they would and how to correct that. Its not, unfortunately, something I usually enjoy. And I wish I did, because if things work out like I hope they will in the long run, I'll have to spend more time in a studio recording our multi-platinum, award winning records. Anyway, we had something like 7 hours to knock 4 songs out. They didn't have to sound awesome so setting up was quick and painless and everyone played really well, blah blah and we came away having done everything in a few takes and it actually sounded pretty decent for what is essentially a demo. I was really, really happy. PJ fell asleep while I did my (perfect) guitar takes and Josh talked about putting a voice-over on a particularly awesome break-down part of a new song saying "I want everyone out there to MOSH! Circle PIT!!". It was not unanimous.

I actually enjoyed recording this time which has made me even more keen to do it for real in Manchester at the start of February. I'm really excited about this next release, it's the first time we'll have a record where all 4 of us have our input on everything and (obviously) I think the new songs are our best yet. The 7" will have 1 new song per side and will come with a CD with the new songs and full-band versions of 2 of our older songs. If everything goes to plan, and it really should because we're starting so early, we should have it done for our April tour with Rooftops. I mean, we booked that tour as a record-release tour, so it would be pretty lame if we failed on that.

Here's some bog-standard studio-style photos and a very boring video of Joe doing some mallets. I wish I had filmed more of him doing really interesting drum-parts but you win some and you lose some.










































Till next time team!

Dan


Drumbelievable! from danbondissafe on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages