.............News....Gigs....Music....Shop....Contact...........................................................................................................................................................

Monday 26 April 2010

Punk and Bowl

Last nights gig at Ryans Bar was so crazy hot that not only did I sweat through the ass of my jeans, but I also sprouted an afro. Awesome times. All the bands, I thought, sounded great, which has been my biggest fault of Ryans Bar in the past. I don’t know what made everything sound so good last night, but maybe everyone was just a bit more willing to turn their amps down a little to control the levels. Either way, it made playing and singing feel very easy and watching the other bands enjoyable. I don’t know how so many venues continue to have such poor sound, even when I know the promoter has paid for the soundperson to be there and manage it all. It’s crazy because It’s hard to get into a band if all you can hear are guitars and no vocals. The gig itself was busy but quiet on a crowd front, especially after the last London show which was pretty rowdy in comparison. It was kind of nice to play and sing well (for me) and actually have people listen and be able to hear ok. Thanks for the show Greg.

This week we play some shows with PJ and Gaby, our first in a while. I’ll be playing bass and embarrassing PJs awesome bass set-up the lack of technique and precision that I have developed into my own personal style. I’m looking forward to the shows, it’s kind of fun to be able to hang back and play someone else’s songs without singing. One of the shows is at the Garage in Islington, a venue I went to about a hundred years ago* to see Boysetsfire. Well, we’re playing upstairs in that venue so it’s not like fulfilling some kind of ambition, but it feels like a step in the right direction. It’s the right postcode, it counts.

Oh, before I forget, this Sunday is Punk and Bowl. Shit man, Punk and Bowl is so fucking fun. Sometime last summer at Punk and Bowl I decided to miss half the bands, drink gin in the park next to the venue and harass the local squirrels. The night took a downward spiral as I started bombing out and yelling at Jon from The Cut Ups about how I loved his band before getting grumpy and going home alone. I was messy, messy, apologetic mess the next day. I haven’t bombed like that since…well, I mean I bombed at fest, that’s well documented, but I barely bomb out like that. This year, I redeem myself.



I will redeem myself.

Laters
Dan
x

*not a hundred years ago at all.

www.apologiesihavenone.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages